One of the best things about summer is camping. Summertime has the perfect weather for outdoor activities one of them being camping. Besides giving you the chance to have quality time with your family, camping lets you live the good life without any distractions as you enjoy the outdoors.
Besides the above benefits, camping also boosts your health by making you more active than usual, kind of like physical exercise. From the moment you set your foot on the mud to the time you haul your aching muscles into your car to head back home, you would have moved, either in one way or another. One thing that everyone gets concerned about when they are planning to go camping is food. When camping, you want to relax and enjoy the experience and not worry about what food to make. To help you avoid this stress, here are some of the easiest meals to cook when camping.
1.Chili campfire bake
This is not a regular meal. However, it is easy to make, and it also does not take much time to cook. To make this meal, you only need a rack that can sit on fire and a skillet. This meal is so simple that practically anyone can cook it, so there is no excuse for not knowing how to cook with this meal. Furthermore, the prep time is so short as well as the cook. Preparing this meal takes about 20 minutes at the most.
- One 15 ounces can chili
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- One 7 ounce bag of corn chips
- Salt to taste
- One 16 oz box elbow macaroni pasta
- Into a large skillet of approximately 12 inches in diameter, pour the whole box of pasta. Add three cups of cold water into the skillet and ensure that the water covers the pasta. Then, turn the burner to high and set your timer for ten minutes. If you like, you can add a bit of salt to taste.
- Cook on high and occasionally stir until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Bring to a simmer after adding chili.
- Remove it from the heat and then top it with cheddar cheese and corn chips. Serve immediately.
This meal serves about six people.
2. Kielbasa, pepper, onion and potato hash
It only takes you 15 minutes to make this delicious and healthy meal that features tons of lean turkey kielbasa as well as fresh vegetables. This is another meal that is easiest to make hence perfect for camping because it only needs four main ingredients to make.
- One green bell pepper, diced
- One sliced onion
- 2 or 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ yellow, orange or red bell pepper, diced
- One 14 ounce package turkey kielbasa that is cut into ¼ inch rounds
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- In a skillet that is heavy-bottomed (like one with a cast iron bottom), heat two tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes to the skillet together with the salt and pepper. Then fry until the potatoes are golden browncolour and cooked through. This takes about 8 to 10 minutes. To ensure even browning, be sure to stir a few times.
- In a separate skillet, put the sliced kielbasa and brown it over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes using just a single tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions and peppers to the skillet and then season it with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the skillet with kielbasa and the peppers and onions and then mix everything. Serve while still hot.
This delicious and fast meal serves four.
3.Southwestern Chicken Packets
After spending a long day engaging in various activities, this is the kind of hearty meal you deserve. It consists of chicken, pepper jack cheese, and beans.
- A cup of frozen corn
- One 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- Four chicken tenders or two chicken breasts
- One tablespoon of taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of pico de gallo or salsa
- One cup of shredded pepper jack cheese
- Cilantro to garnish
- Avocado (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Pull off4 sheets of heavy duty tin foil (about 8 to 10 inches) and then layer them to create two packets. Mist them lightly with cooking spray.
- Put together the corn, taco seasoning and the black beans and then stir. Divide the mixture between the two foil packets. Use the salt and pepper to season the chicken. In each packet, place two chicken tenders or 1 chicken breast. Top the chicken with the shredded cheese and the salsa.
- Bring together the two longer edges of the foil above the food. Fold theseedges down twice thereby creating a top seal. Then press the side edges together and fold them to form a secure packet.
- Cook on hot coals for about 30 to 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Before serving, top it with fresh cilantro, avocado or sour cream.
For a total of 40 minutes, you will have made this delicious meal for two people.
4. Banana Coconut French Toast
One of the breakfast meals that you can have while camping is the banana coconut French toast. This is a perfect breakfast option while camping because its ingredients do not require refrigeration. Considered to be a vegan meal, the Banana Coconut French Toast is quick and very easy to make, not mentioning very sumptuous. Apart from breakfast, this toast can also be taken for brunch.
- One large banana ( the riper the banana, the better)
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- One tablespoon maple syrup (and more for serving)
- One tablespoon of vegan butter or light oil for frying
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 4 – 6 slices of day-old bread
- In a blender or a food processor, add the coconut milk, banana, vanilla extract, cinnamon and maple syrup. Blend them to a smoothie-like consistency. Into a shallow bowl that will fit your slices of bread, pour your French toast dip.
- Heat the light oil or vegan butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. One the oil or butter is hot, dip a slice of bread into it and coat both sides. Place the bread in a hot pan and then fry for a couple of minutes on each side until it is golden brown.
This meal takes 20 minutes to make and serves from 4 to 6 people.
5.Boy Scout Campout Bacon Hash Brown Breakfast Sandwich
Not only is this meal easy and quick to make, but it is also kid-friendly hence perfect for families with small children. One way of boosting your children’s confidence is by allowing them to prepare a meal from time to time. However, this does not mean that you leave your younger children making this sandwich unsupervised, no, you still have to supervise them. The boy scout campout bacon hash brown breakfast sandwich is a big breakfast sandwich that contains all your favorite breakfast foods in one convenient package that is handheld.
- 1 ½ to 2 cups of hash brown potatoes
- 4-6 slices of cooked bacon
- Four slices of bread (preferably Texas toast)
- Avocado, optional
- Two eggs, optional
- 4-6 tablespoons of butter for toasting bread, optional
- 2-4 tablespoon oil for cooking hashbrowns optional
- Two tablespoons of maple syrup, optional
- Cook the bacon then save the grease if you plan to cook the toast, hash browns or the eggs in it.
- On medium-high heat, form the hashbrowns into your bread’s size. Cook each side of the hashbrowns for 4 to 5 minutes until it is brown or cooked through. Remove from the pan then drain using a paper towel.
- Toast the bread on each side until it is golden brown
- Cook egg according to your preference
- Build your sandwich by layering the hashbrowns, egg, bacon on a toast and then top using another slice of bread.
- Add any toppings you like and then serve immediately
This recipe makes two sandwiches.
Camping involves a lot of stuff; from the tent, the sleeping bags, pillows, sleeping bag pads, toiletries, clothes, the first aid equipment, bottled water and the flashlights and so on, and this is the reason why some people shy away from camping.
Nevertheless, these requirements do not come close to the amount of fun that you are going to have when camping, all the outdoor activities you are going to engage in, being close to nature an just getting away from the noise of the city. Even though food falls among these requirements, with the above recipes, food is no longer one of your worries. The above recipes may make you long for camping.